My Blog List

Thursday 29 February 2024

And now for something completely different.....

 Well a total change of tack here at McG Towers, while idly perusing ebay I stumbled across some Toy Soldiers and immediately got lost down a rabbit hole spending a good few hours on the subject!!

As a youngster the family always went down to Edinburgh on our holidays to go round all the relatives, always a good time for me as I always went to Woolworths to get some more cowboys, indians or knights to add to my collection, Woolworths always had a big selection of plastic toys on offer, great for a small boy like myself and I always had a great time picking and choosing my purchases. I t was on one of these holidays that I saw a display of shiny toy soldiers of various regiments,  I think it might have been Jenners that had the display but it was a lifetime ago so who knows!, anyway they were quite superb and such a treat for a wee boy like me but way beyond the humble means of my folks so it was look but back to Woolies for some plastic!

Anyway to take it up to the present, toy soldier were a thing I looked at but never had any intention to purchase, until now!


These are the first purchases, total including postage was just under £65 for them both, which I thought was pretty decent, they are not from the heyday of Britains but were from the 1990's and  badged as Britains, decent enough for me and wont break the bank either, so the collection will grow that's for sure, I don't intend to get too bogged down with this collection I will just pick and choose what I like and can see the collection not getting more than 20-30 sets.  

There are some lovely sets like the two I purchased from the British Army in India and I will add to this range, the other ones I will probably buy are British regiments from the late 1890's and Yeomanry cavalry, sets come in 6 for infantry and 4 for cavalry all in these lovely boxes that hark back to the glory days of Britains.

Well another rabbit hole I find myself going down, but a fun one all the same!!

4 comments:

  1. Another rabbit hole and an interesting diversion. There is always one more rabbit hole in the next field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my problem Jon, too many rabbit holes but it does make thing interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch out for ferrets down those rabbit holes, Donnie! Shiny old style toy soldiers are something I look at and think " They look quite nice" but not enough to buy any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about rabbit holes, I seem to go down one and then another, I have plenty of unpainted stuff to do a good part of this year so these are a real indulgence and they tick the "retail therapy box".
    That is until another rabbit hole appears!!

    ReplyDelete

Things getting done!!!

 My Peninsular project is still in the planning stages, so I cracked on with some figures that have been part completed since a couple of mo...