My Blog List

Tuesday 6 August 2024

Update for July

 Well that's July gone and it finished with very little hobby time, the last
week or so has seen next to no painting done as work and real life took over, my cousin passed away a week or so ago and it was a hard one to take as we were pretty close and he was only a year older than me so thoughts of mortality kicked in, we had loads of good times so many happy memories. 

 The weekend just past our cat, a companion for 18 years passed over, she has been poorly for the last week and collapsed on Saturday so it was off to the vets and she reckoned her kidneys had failed so it was goodbye to wee Kitty, we both miss her as does the dog but hey ho life goes on.

Anyway back to hobby time, next to nothing done but then at the back end of the month a big move on that front!  First I have had a resurgence in my love affair with the 18th century and bought 5 titles from the Helion collection of SYW and WAS, plenty of reading material and plenty of inspiration that's for sure. Then when perusing the Lead Adventure Forum I saw this post on the "For Sale" section....


This was for a collection of 25mm Minifigs and Hinchliffe ECW figures, around  400 infantry, over 100 cavalry and ten guns and crew plus command figures, contacted the seller, Mark Hides, well known wargamer and professional painter and author of a cracking blog, got the deal done and on Monday a box that nearly gave me hernia arrived at my house! All that is required is a bit of touch up on some figures a bit of basing work and a coat of gloss varnish and this whole lot is ready for the table, absolutely chuffed to bits with this as I had fancied doing and old school collection for the ECW but it would have taken me years to get a collection of this size together and on the table now it is a matter of days/weeks and they will be on the table.

With the figures being old style 25mm I am going to go down the 15mm buildings/scenery route as I think it will work better than new style 28mm scenery. A church some farm building and a few houses will suffice, I will buy these ready painted to save time on this front, also I am going to get a couple of wagons, limbers etc from Hinds, also ready painted, for some table fluff.

After a hard month in both real life and hobby time, there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will be sorting out some old school loveliness this weekend and really looking forward to it as well!!


11 comments:

  1. My condolences on both losses Donnie, your cousin is obviously a greater loss than a cat but you can't under-estimate the impact of the death of a long-time pet either.
    Personally, I don't have much nostalgia for the "old school" type of figures, maybe I am just a couple of years younger (62 in a couple of weeks) or something....but glossy, relatively poor quality sculpts don't hold any allure to me! But sometimes I do feel like I am in a minority - there are certainly many gamers out there who seem to love the older style figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually bother too much about older figures Keith but I think the ECW is probably because they were the first metal figures I ever bought, nostalgia maybe but it was an itch that needed scratched! Although saying that I am looking at Jacdaw and Willie figures for WAS and SYW!

      Delete
  2. Donnie, sorry for your losses, coming soon after one another is tough.

    The arrival of the newly raised armies along with the resource reading calls for some reporting as you sort out factions and fight battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly should, be nice to actually get some games in that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read of your losses but encouraging to see there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Receiving a Big Box of lead always cheers me up and increases my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly raised my spirits Jon,just to choose a rule set and it will be all go!

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your loss, I found it took longer than I thought to rebase the glossy old school ECW army I got but good fun once you get it! My nephew picked up a large painted minifigs collection and I have fond memories of the Airfix guide that I bought for the 54mm military modeling aspect but became transfixed by the AAR in the back with the smallest black and white photos!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tbh Iain the basing is going to pretty minimal as I dig into the pile they are rather well based so not too much work required.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for your condolences, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A large haul of ECW figures. I bet they did weigh quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The were triple hernia material Peter! A really big, heavy box, filled with goodies.

      Delete

Late August...

 Well hobby time has been at a premium this month, work and gardening have taken priority but still some things have been progressing.  My E...