My Blog List

Friday 13 September 2024

Busy but no painting!!!

 Well as the title says, I have been busy when real life doesn't intrude with hobby time!  The varnish and rebasing continues on the "old school" ECW project and I am over half way through and will get a few more bits and pieces done this weekend, I managed to get some units done every day this week due to being on holiday although the decoration of the kitchen has taken precedence! I have enjoyed this project and it is well ahead of schedule and will be finished well before the year end.

My purchases of Stephen Summerfield books continues and I have added the Prussian Frei Infantry one, which is a good one, and then I got this beauty,

If you have any interest in the Hanoverian army of the SYW then this book is a must, not the cheapest but well worth the money, it's a seriously good book. This leads me on nicely to what else I have been up to.

I have purchased several units of infantry, horse and dragoons from Tony Joseph, who is an expat living in Spain, he is downsizing his collection and selling up all his Minden figures and going down the 15/18mm route, this has allowed me to buy 8 infantry, 4 horse and 2 dragoon units from him, all lovely painted and based and ready to do battle.


This gives you an idea of the standard of the units I have purchased, really happy with them and they will go well with the units I already have finished, gives me a decent Hanoverian army and added to the British I have finished or on the go should look great on the table. I have a fair Saxon army finished and more still to do, I am adding some French to them and at the end will have two well matched armies for some Western actions of the SYW.

Well the holidays have come to an end and I have to be in today for the morning, ease me back gently and will get my desk ready for Monday morning, bit more varnishing on the cards for tomorrow, so until the next time.......


10 comments:

  1. Quite a nice force for the table top with a scenario the only 'work ' involved. Finds like this is what helps to finish a long-term project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what attracted me to them, I am a very slow painter and to get an army on the table top would take me forever but now it's going to be done and dusted, then as you say some scenarios to actually get a game played!

      Delete
  2. My Hanoverian book has seen constant use over the last 18 months as I build a Hanoverian Army, in 18mm though. Splendid looking figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really happy with them Jon, they are very well done, the book is a great purchase and a must have for the SYW afficionado and a good addition to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a well spent summer holiday Donnie, apart from the kitchen, although you seem happy with that too, so a win win!
    The new SYW additions looks very nice indeed 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye the kitchen was a prospect I was not looking forward to but it is going very nicely actually and nearly all done. Well chuffed with the SYW stuff, really a happy chappy.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are making good progress with the SYW and ECW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all coming together very nicely Peter, not often I can say that!

      Delete
  6. Some nice purchases! I too have been buying the odd painted unit to finish off my SYW armies, mostly Hinchliffe Austrians.
    It's because I have more money than time ; a reverse of when I started the armies.
    I have his volume on the Saxons; have looked wistfully at the Hanovarian one.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much the same here Neil, I have never had too much disposable income for the hobby but now I find myself with a bit of free cash, so handy for getting some painted up unit to allow me time to hopefully game! The Hinchliffe SYW range is still a cracker in my opinion, I have a pile of them still to do something with!

    ReplyDelete

Busy but no painting!!!

 Well as the title says, I have been busy when real life doesn't intrude with hobby time!  The varnish and rebasing continues on the &qu...